Friday, June 1, 2012

Issues About Pac-Man

My opinion on the issues about Manny Pacquiao and the verses that were associated to him: Leviticus 20:13 and 1 Corinthians 6:9

It is one of the biggest fight if not the biggest fight that manny pacquiao has ever fought. He was put in a spot to comment on the statement made by president Obama that he is in favor of same sex marriage. He said that he is against it because it is against the law of God.  It became such a controversy that his guesting was cancelled, there was a petition to cancel his Nike endorsement, and it became trending in different social networking sites.

Two verses were mentioned there: Leviticus 20:13 (not by Pacquiao) and 1 Corinthians 6:9. Let me comment and give my opinion on these.

Leviticus 20:13
13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Before I share my opinion, let me say I believe that whatever is written in the Bible is the Word of God. I believe whatever is written is Holy Spirit inspired and can be used for every aspect of life.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Whatever is written there holds true and remains true. It means if you ask me, I believe this is from God and I agree with this. But wait! Before you tune out on me, call me a homophobic, get mad at me, ask for a petition to cancel my guesting and endorsement (hehe), let me explain to you my point.

Yes I agree those people who do this deserves to die, but in the same way everyone who lies, cheats, commits adultery, murders, gets drunk, practices witchcraft, commits pre- marital  sex, doesn't give their tithes, disobeys their parents, doesn't submit to authorities, curses and every offense that you can think of,  (including "petty sins" like white lies) they all deserve to die!

Romans 6:23a
23 For the wages of sin is death,

It means whatever sin (take note it is singular) you have committed, you deserve to die. So now, I am not singling out the homosexual offenders but everyone who have sinned.

You may be thinking I may be a hypocrite or too self righteous by saying that everyone deserves to die since I am a pastor.  But let me tell you this:

Romans 3:23
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

It says here ALL! It means it includes your friends, family, office mates, class mates, manny pacquiao, lesbians, gays, straights, black, white, yellow, Americans, Africans, Asians, priests, bishops, pastors, and yes, it includes you and ME.

Basing from these verses, ALL of us DESERVES TO DIE!

Going back to the verse, I think by just quoting only that verse, it is wrong to single out the homosexual offenders that they deserve to die but it is also wrong as well to not say that they don't deserve to die. Because all of us deserves to die.

Only because of the mercy of God (not because of the good things that we do) that we are alive today! So if you are reading this, I believe God wants to give you an opportunity to experience His love ( because all the things that I have mentioned is His justice) and wants you to experience a life of freedom.

Another verse that was mentioned is this: 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

And again, I agree with this. Because how can a just and holy God allow people like us to be in His kingdom? It will just pollute and tarnish it! For example, would you allow a thief to stay in your house? Or a murderer? Of course you want them to be in jail to be punished or at least learn their lessons.

You may be thinking, now I realize that we have a mean God! Who doesn't wants us to be happy, who created us just to suffer! A very impatient, unforgiving and power tripping God! But if you noticed, Romans 6:23 has a letter (a) in there. It means it has a second part:

Romans 6:23b
but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am glad that it has a 2nd part! It means now we have hope! We have a chance to live at the same time to enter the kingdom of God! The greater news about that it is a gift! It means it is something that we don't need to work for, we just need to accept it!

Yes God is just, but now we can see that He is also loving! He will not allow sin to go unpunished, but at the same time He doesn't want us to suffer the consequences. That is why His solution is to give His son Jesus, the only man who lived on Earth that has no sin, to die for us, to carry all the consequences that should be for us.

Romans 5: 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Now I am writing this as a testimony of the love of God. I am pastor now not because I've always been obedient and faithful, but all because of the grace of God. I can now say that because I have experienced God's love and forgiveness, I am righteous and that I can enter the Kingdom of God.

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- 9 not by works, so that no-one can boast.

But how did I arrive to this point? Let me quote to you not just the most controversial or trending verse today, but the most popular verse of all time:

John 3:16
16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

We just need to believe Jesus alone is our Savior, that only Him can make us enter the kingdom of God and make us righteous, and our Lord, our master, the one calls the shot in our lives.

Allow Jesus to move in your life, believe in Him, and I promise you, your life will never the same again!

P.S. I encourage you to read and study the Bible, so that you will understand and see the context of the verses there so that you will have a better understanding of who God is.


1 comment: